Olive Oil Crackers with Sea Salt and Herbs
Recipe type: Snack
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup water
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- flaky salt (I use Maldon)
- fresh herbs, dried herbs, poppy seeds sesame seeds, dried spices, za’atar are some of the endless possibilities for toppings
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a Kitchen Aid mix the flour baking powder, water, olive oil, salt and pepper. With the dough hook, mix (or mix by hand) the dough for 5-6 minutes until it all comes together. Wrap in plastic wrap and leave it to rest for an hour in the fridge.
- Line 2-3 trays with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Make walnut sized balls and roll them out as thinly as you can into long, oval shapes.
- Place the rolled out crackers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush generously with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of flaky sea salt (I love Maldon), fresh herbs, dried herbs, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, za’atar, etc.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes, or until the crackers are golden brown in color. Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container. (It’s important to keep them tightly sealed but if it’s very humid and the crackers get a bit stale tasting, just pop them back in the oven for about 10 minutes at 225˚F and they’ll be good as new!)